We all experience stress at times. It could be your workplace, your family life or your financial situation that makes you stressed. And while there are many things you can do to reduce your stress levels, have you thought about how essential oils might help?
Essential oils are potent natural oils derived from a variety of sources, mostly plants. They are known to have a wide range of effects in the human body. Quality is important when buying essential oils, but only a few drops are needed to have the desired result. You can add essential oils to a diffuser; or mix with a carrier oil to dilute before applying to the skin; or add to your bath or shower. The following are 5 essential oils we recommend to reduce stress and bring calm.
1. Lavender is perhaps the most well-known essential oil and with good reason. It has been shown to reduce anxiety and improve sleep quality. A 2013 study found that inhaling lavender oil during the workday reduced reported amounts of stress among nurses.
2. Chamomile is also widely known as helpful for promoting relaxation. The essential oil is less widely used than lavender but is very effective. It has been shown to reduce the levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, in people suffering from generalised anxiety.
3. Bergamot is the essential oil derived from a particular citrus plant. It has positive effects on stress and anxiety levels which has been demonstrated in various studies. It has even been shown to reduce anxiety in patients waiting to have surgery. Bergamot, like many citrus oils, can be irritating to the skin so should not be applied topically unless well diluted.
4. Orange essentials oils have also been shown to reduce anxiety and stress. There is evidence to suggest that both bitter and sweet orange oils can be helpful for producing calm.
5. Ylang ylang essential oil is also often used for relaxation and may help to lower blood pressure. It is a great essential oil to use as a blend with some of the above oils.
Whatever the cause of your stress, essential oils can be a helpful part of your management system. Calanna Pharmacies have a wide range of quality essential oils and everything else you might need.
 The effects of aromatherapy in relieving symptoms related to job induced stress among nurses. International Journal of Nursing Practice. Vol 21, Iss 1, 2015
 An exploratory study of salivary cortisol changes during chamomile extract therapy of moderate to severe generalised anxiety disorder. J Psychiatr Res. Jan 2018, 96: 189-195
 The anxiolytic effect of aromatherapy on patients awaiting ambulatory surgery. Evidence Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013; 927419
 Effect of Sweet Orange Aroma on Experimental Anxiety in Humans. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Vol 18, no 8, 2012