What is magnesium?
Magnesium is one of the most essential minerals for optimal body function. We like to call it the “Magnificent Mineral” and its usefulness is indeed “Magical”.
Magnesium is so important, that cells have special membrane pumps to keep it inside the cell. Because so much is locked up in the cells it means that your body is dependent on your daily food and fluid intake to supply its daily needs.
Why is it magical?
Magnesium plays very vital roles in our body functions;
- Helps produce energy required for daily body function & vitality
- It is a major catalyst in the metabolism of protein, carbohydrate & fat. This means it plays a big part in the efficient use of food intake by the body
- It helps regulate calcium metabolism – helping with bone & muscle strength, heart & cardio vascular pump
- Helps keep BP low and improves blood flow. Low levels of Mag have been associated with heart arrhythmias, angina and sudden death from heart attack. Remembering that the heart is probably the biggest muscle in the body, Magnesium is very essential
- It helps reduce dehydration, muscle cramps & pain so is very useful for sports people and all people in trades etc that work outdoors
- Magnesium helps reduce Inflammation
- Magnesium is essential in the development and maintenance of the Optic Nerve & for the optimal function of the Retina
- Magnesium helps to increase HDL (good) Cholesterol levels & lower serum LDL (bad) Cholesterol levels
- Magnesium helps to lower high Triglycerides levels
- Magnesium helps to prevent & control Type II Diabetes
- Helps to reduce Fatigue, Lethargy, Chronic fatigue, Tension headaches, migraines, Stress, Anxiety and General tension. In all of these cases Magnesium helps relax muscles and allows better blood flow
The most common well know form of Magnesium is Epsom Salts. We all know what magnificent results are obtained from this form of Magnesium, especially if you desire or require a regular bowel ‘clean out.’ The irritability this causes to the stomach & intestinal wall makes other forms of Magnesium more desirable.
There are better tolerated forms of magnesium that can be taken without having ‘that’ side effect. The main form is called magnesium diglycinate. This form allows the magnesium to be absorbed into the body & out of the gut area and into the muscles and Cardio Vascular System where it is required for the functions mentioned above.
How does it work?
Magnesium concentrates in the Muscles (26% of the body’s total Magnesium is stored in Muscles) – and its main role is to ensure that sufficient Oxygen is delivered to the Muscles. Magnesium is also required for Muscle movement and for the transmission of Nerve Impulses to the Muscles.
There are many electrolyte drinks on the market – they taste nice, look nice but usually have high amounts of sugar, Sodium (Na), Chloride (Cl) and Potasium (K) – but no Magical Magnesium.
The absorbable “magnificent mineral” is missing in all of these high profile drinks. So, when you purchase an electrolyte drink, look for a formula which includes magnesium diglycinate and say good bye to muscle cramps, dehydration and pain; while keeping your stomach in tact.
Magnesium in your diet
- Wheat Bran
- Sunflower Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Most Nuts
- Buckwheat Flour
- Oat Bran
- Nutmeg (powder)
- Kidney Beans (raw)
- Wheat Flour (wholemeal)
- Shiitake Mushrooms (dried)
- Brown Rice
- Dried Peas
- Rye (flour)
- Barley (pearl)
Magnesium is truly Magical. It is involved in most critical body functions – this is what makes it Magnificent.